VBC IS HIRING!
The Virginia Beer Company is hiring! Coming off our 5th anniversary in March 2021, we are excited for the future and ready to grow into Year 6 and beyond. We are looking for enthusiastic and optimistic lovers of all things craft beer to join our full-time VBC Taproom Team. The Virginia Beer Company offers competitive wages in an engaging environment, with access to full medical & dental benefits and the ability to grow with our family as we grow.
The Virginia Beer Company is located just outside of the heart of downtown Williamsburg, nestled in The Edge District at 401 Second Street. If you’re interested in joining Team VBC and helping us to better serve the community in which we live, brew, and play, please read through the job description below. Then send an email with a cover letter (listing your Top 5 favorite beers and why) and resume to [email protected]!
Taproom Team Role Description
The Virginia Beer Company is hiring for full-time staff to join our front-of-house Taproom Team. This includes working in VBC’s Taproom to:
- Pour beers, with attention to detail ensuring beer-clean glassware and proper head height.
- Restock and organize packaged beer in Taproom reach-in and accurately rotate products.
- Service and fill crowlers/growlers/grunts for to-go purchase.
- Answer questions about beer styles, VBC products, and area events over the phone and at the bar.
- Keep the Taproom space clean and organized, including Taproom amenities (eg, restrooms) and Beer Garden spaces.
- Maintain bar area before, during, and after Taproom hours.
- Restock, organize, and change kegs in the Taproom cooler and clean draft lines as required.
- Organize, keep stocked, review inventory, and sell merchandise.
- Assist with creation of and execution of live events and special releases (on and off-site).
- Be able to open and close the facility as a key-holder.
- Provide occasional brewery tours upon completion of one brew day with Production Team and review of tour talking points.
- Compose nightly closing emails to communicate to Taproom Manager about shift occurrences.
- Complete transactions in point of sale (POS) system and accurately handle cash and credit receipts.
- In addition to Taproom hours, help with off-site events as a Taproom Brand Ambassador (as agreed upon and needed).
- Execute/Promote weekly Taproom specials and provide news about upcoming releases & events.
- Positively represent the Team VBC brand and help to share beers & cheers with our community!
Virginia Beer Co. Expectations
- Demonstrate intimate knowledge and understanding of the Virginia Beer Co. story, beers, and culture.
- Communicate effectively with your teammates and peers and participate in knowledge-building exercises.
- Act as a positive brand ambassador for VBC – in person, online, and in the wild.
Candidates should be committed to seeking a full time, long-term position; we are a close-knit group working together in a collaborative environment, so we take great pride in our team dynamic! Willingness to work both individually and in a team setting, and in a fast paced environment. Interest in continuing education about the brewing process and facets of operating a Brewery + Taproom + Beer Garden. A desire to be outgoing, conversational, and social (beer is fun!) but the ability to stay professional (brewing is work and ABC laws are no joke). Interest in being an important part of a growing company…we are still a relatively young startup, so everyone plays a huge role (and there are still many adventures yet to come)!
In addition, candidates should have flexibility in availability. This role includes regular scheduling that may involve early mornings and late nights, especially on weekends. If you foresee regular difficulty in being available during these times, please let us know before accepting a future offer.
Standard weekly Taproom hours:
Ø Monday – 3-9 pm
Ø Tuesday – 3-9 pm
Ø Wednesday – 3-9 pm
Ø Thursday – 3-9 pm
Ø Friday – 12-9:30 pm
Ø Saturday – 12-9:30 pm
Ø Sunday – 12-9 pm
*Taproom hours may change to accommodate special events and holidays.
**Hours for off-site events may deviate from Taproom hours, but will be provided and agreed upon in advance as the forward calendar for Taproom Brand Ambassador opportunities is finalized.
The Virginia Beer Company offers competitive wages in addition to access to full medical & dental insurance, with the ability to grow with us as we grow. While backgrounds in the brewing industry and/or within the bar and restaurant worlds are helpful, they are no required — even more important: passion for the community. Our company mantra is Beer · People · Purpose. We are dedicated to engaging the community around us and giving back to it.
Whether it be the beers we brew, the events we host, or the interactions we have with anyone who enjoys our beers – our entire team (Taproom, Sales, Production, Management) must be excited about the opportunity to work together to build up and give back to the community in which we live, brew, and play.
We look forward to working with you and working together to serve the Williamsburg area and beyond!